Thursday, February 10, 2011

You have to know where I've been to understand where I'm forcibly taking you, part 1.

January 21st was the last day I remember being in the real world. I've been struggling, fighting even, to get back since then; I think I might have finally done it. Either that, or someone with more free time than me is playing a very elaborate prank. Normally I enjoy pranks, as I've mentioned in previous posts, but this one could just be a dick move.

You see, I was inspired. I had an idea. I should know by now that the inner mechanics of my mind are dangerous; starting that post was the worst thing I could have ever done. Or maybe the best. Who's to say?

Oh, right. Me. I'm the one writing here.

Back to the adventure I've been on. You see, I started this post; it was about toothbrushes or whatever, I don't really remember. I live my life by the philosophy that if I can't remember something, it probably wasn't that important to begin with, so I don't feel bad for forgetting things like which way pants go on(party in the front, zipper in the back) or if my bank account has any money left in it(the bank just doesn't understand that it's not overdrawing if my purchase is something I absolutely need, like a Chocolate Moose Pillow Pet or blood diamonds).

So here I am, writing about oral hygiene--that's what she said--when everything goes black and I suddenly smell grapefruit. My first reaction was, oh great, I'm having another stroke; I guess that all-salt diet isn't working out. But what could have been seconds, hours, or days later(keeping track of time isn't my forte; that would be sniffing out truffles), I find myself laying in the sand of a beautiful beach, with grapefruit trees as far as the eye can see. "Why grapefruit?," I ask myself; it isn't until much later that I get my answer. I sit up, and while looking out over the water, decide that I should probably get moving.
I can't draw sand. Also, I'm Jack from Lost.

Because I watched every episode of Lost, I realized that venturing into the thick jungle of citrus trees probably wasn't the best idea; if there had been some kind of smoke monster living there, it wouldn't leave the forest for at least the first four or five seasons, which meant I was safe near the water. So, in order to save myself from the main cause of fictional smoke-related death that has nothing to do with cigarettes, I walked along the beach for a while.

Smoke monster or rip in the time-space-grapefruit tree continuum? You decide.

Since I forgot to mention that it was daytime during all of this, I'm telling you now. It was daytime. I'm not going to lay on the imagery here unless it's absolutely necessary, this isn't a J.R.R. Tolkien novel. Deal with it.

As the warm sun began to set, I realized I had no clue what the weather would be like in this place after nightfall. I'd need to find shelter, and soon. Looking at the long stretch of beach on either side of me, I failed to see anything but sprawling dunes of sand. There weren't even any seagulls shitting on everything and annoying me or crabs scurrying across the sand; this place was completely devoid of life. I then wondered, holy shit, was I sent to this place for my complete and total lack of life back home? Is this some kind of punishment for perfecting the art of not moving? Maybe I was to spend the rest of my days alone on this beach, devoid of the things that helped sustain my life on a daily basis.

Out of fear, or perhaps courage, I decided to venture into the jungle. If there's some kind of smoke monster, maybe I can pull a John Locke and stare that thing down like a motherfucker; never mind the fact that it later inhabited his dead body. Don't pay attention to that aspect of the show. Oh, spoiler alert I guess. The show is over, and if you haven't watched it yet, then that's not my fault.

There wasn't really much of note in the first part of the trees; rotting grapefruits, and eventually oranges and lemons, dotted the ground around me as I trudged forward. Why citrus? I didn't understand. I don't even like grapefruit. Oranges are okay, though I love lemons. What if I'm in a coma? Is this my dream? What is wrong with my subconscious that all it can think about is citrus? I had so many questions, and no answers.

The farther I walked, the more I began to question my choice of going into the jungle. Nothing was changing, and I had gone in pretty deep--that's what he said--and there was no way I could find my way back to the beach now. Tired, I sat against a huge tree with grapefruits the size of...I don't know...a baby or something, and began to rest my eyes. It had been a long and confusing day, with the biggest question now shifting from "Where the hell am I, and how did I get here," to "What the fuck is up with all these grapefruits?" I started to doze off, hoping that a grapefruit might fall off the tree and kill me in my sleep, when I heard a huge booming sound. Boom. Boom. Boom. With each boom, the ground shook harder, notifying me that whatever was making that sound was getting closer and closer.

The first boom was so loud and terrifying that I had to consciously stop myself from losing control of every orifice on my body, a harder feat than any of you might expect. The impact of the boom was powerful enough to shake my bones, and I jumped to my feet like a monkey ninja and further adhered to that description as I managed to claw my way up the tree I had been leaning against only moments before. Somehow, despite never having the ability to climb anything in my life before, I managed to scramble to the safety of a low-hanging branch. In my hurry, I had forgotten that standing on a low ladder rung terrifies me, and I was now literally sitting in a tree. My fear of heights being compounded with my fear of the boom monster, for lack of a better name, sent me into a sniffling and crying fit. Clinging to my branch, I began to whimper, which then scared me even more because I realized making noise would probably draw the creature closer, and I basically fell into a huge spiral of fear and involuntary urination.




All the while, the booming grew closer, and the shaking had grown to the point that I was clinging to my branch like a rhesus monkey to a fake mother; the soft one, not the wire one. If you don't get that reference, let me Google that for you. As I held on for both dear life and comfort, the source of the boom revealed itself.

Holy shit.

1 comment:

  1. You have no idea how excited I was when I saw there was a new post! I never really lost faith in you!!

    ReplyDelete

Preemptive strike: I love you too.